Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Summertime Favorite: BBQ

This is one of those dishes I am so proud of myself over!  Remember my story about pulling out the crockpot that was given to me YEARS ago.  This was the reason :).  I thought I would LOVE some BBQ and I found a recipe that called for the crockpot.  I owe my most recent cooking spree on this recipe.

I found this recipe online, and now that I realize it, I have actually been doing it wrong.  I accidentally wrote applesauce instead of apple juice.  Oh, what we do, but at least it was trading apple for apple, so who can complain.  More on this later.

I was looking for something easy to make, easy to store, and makes a ton of food.  This was about the same time two things happened.  One, I found out I am pretty allergic to milk and whey products.  You may end up noticing that my dishes are surprisingly milk free, or there is a void of cheesy dishes.  I haven't found any good replacements for cheese when cooking (just sandwhiches).  Also, I was expecting another baby (baby boy due in Nov. 2011).  We were excited, but my doctor informed me I wasn't gaining enough weight.  Apparently, Wendy's chicken sandwiches and ham/ricecheese sandwiches were not cutting it.  She said I should add more fruits and vegetables and good proteins to my diet!  Since I am avoiding foods for both me and my son (he has so many allergies, he has a difficult time with it), I decided I am going to get cooking :).  Being allergic makes you (not by choice, but by necessity) choose more organic and natural foods, because they are more honest about what is in their foods and less likely to contain allergens.  I LOVE my Wegman's and when I lived in the city, Whole Foods was my best friend!  They have so many choices for my son and I (I just spent $160 at Whole Foods for my son's food.).

I also started joining websites catered to those of us with food allergies/in tolerances/avoidances.  I found www.cookingallergyfree.com, and I use that website pretty much 100% of the time.  Many of my recipes come from this great website!  I check off what I am avoiding, and it only brings up recipes that I CAN HAVE. instead of having to weed through!  Whoever made that website, I am in love with you.

So, I looked and found this fantastic BBQ recipe, and it looked super easy!  Like I said, I was just beginning, and my comfort level was that of a box of Hamburger Helper.  I gave it a shot and oh my word......it was one of the best BBQ's Ive ever tasted!  Can't go wrong with some Stubb's BBQ sauce either :).

My husband and brother-in-law both gave it a try and kept telling me I should cook more often, and that I'd put some weight on them.  Hopefully not for my husband, but I don't mind the compliment :).  Here's the recipe I have been using, and included below is the link to the website:



Crockpot BBQ

  • 1 TBS ground black pepper
  • 1 onion (small) finely chopped
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • 1 bottle BBQ sauce
  • 4-5 lb. pork roast.  Cut into large pieces
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 ½ cups apple sauce
  • 1 ½ tsp salt


In crockpot, combine pork, water, 2 cups of apple sauce, and seasonings.  Stir well.  Place on lid and set temp to high.  Let cook for 8 hours until meat is fully cooked.  Pull pieces of meat from liquid or strain if needed.  Empty liquid from crockpot.
As you replace the meat into crockpot, be sure to either shred it break it into small pieces.  Pour in bottle fo BBQ sauce and rest of apple juice.  Stir well and replace lid.  Continue to cook on high for an hour stirring occasionally.




So, I bet you are still wondering where I went wrong.  I accidentally typed "apple sauce" instead of "apple juice" when I transferred the recipe....OOPS.  But I must say, there is something the apple sauce does to the texture that apple juice did not.  I cannot describe it really, expect there is this "slightest hint at a crispiness".  Not in the crunchy because I burned it sort of way, but like if you were to add a faint amount pickles or cucumber to guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment