Friday, June 8, 2012

A Present for A Teacher

Caden graduates Junior Kindergarten/Preschool this afternoon!  Its so hard to believe that he's going on 5 years old and that he will be going to the "big boy" school in just a few months.  Where does the time go?

Of course, we wanted to reward his teachers he had over the last year in his Montessori Junior Kindergarten program.  They have been so fantastic for him, and have dealt with all that he brings.  His smarts and his food allergies.

That being said, I wanted to make them somethign special.  And I thought about sharing.  Sharing something that means a lot to Caden with them.  Surprisingly, M&M's come to mind.  So, I found the following board on Pinterest:
http://www.domestically-speaking.com/2010/05/m-ms-teacher-appreciation-gift.html

I decided to copy this (my own way).  It was super easy to put together.

Materials (and Ingredients)
- A mason type jar with lid
- A large bag of M&Ms
- Card stock and ribbon for embellisments
- Quote printed on paper

How to
1. Wash out your mason jar.  Make sure its perfectly dry before you start putting any M&Ms in it!
2. In separate bowls, sort the M&Ms by color.  The reason for the big bag is that you will notice there are a lot more of some colors than others.  I had brown, orange and blue as my most prevelent colors.  I barely had enough red.
3.  Layer the M&Ms in the jar being careful not to jostle the jar too much.  You want to try to make a uniform layer if you can....its actually quite hard to do.
4. Put the lid on and embellish the lid with your cardstock, and tie on with ribbon.

Here's the quote you may want to include if you'd like:


Green is for the inspiration you give me each day.
Blue is for your patience in showing me the way.
Orange is for your warmth and caring style.
Yellow is for the way you always make me smile.
Red is for my life that you have touched this year.
You’re a very special teacher just like this jar, that’s clear.
You place knowledge in our children’s hands
and melt into their hearts and lives forever.
You’re a "Magnificent" & "Marvelous" teacher
Thank you for being my M&M.

Here's how mine turned out:


I forgot to take the picture of the poem that's on the inside.  But hopefully you will inspire a teacher to be great.  Just be sure to ask if she's allergic to milk or lactose intolerant first :) :).


3 comments:

  1. I'm making this for my son's Kindergarten teacher! The poem brought me to tears and I hope his teacher loves it too! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you print out the quote from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry it took so long to reply. I am reinvigorating this blog! So much to come xxxxxxx

      To be honest, it has been ages since I originally found the poem. But, looking at the picture history on Pinterest, it looks like I may have found it on PTOToday.com. They call it the "Marvelous and Magnificent Teacher".

      Thank you for reading my blog, I didn't realize it was getting any attention!xxxxx

      Corrina

      Delete